DK30C2DPEP not working well with ThinkBook 15 G2 ITL laptop?

Hi Startech.com community. First time poster here.

I have a user having issues with a Startech USB-C & USB-A Dock Hybrid Universal Laptop Docking Station (DK30C2DPEP) connected to his ThinkBook 15 G2 ITL (20VE003KUS) laptop.

The user reports that the external monitors, USB keyboard and mouse, and Ethernet will intermittently stop working on it. Also, the laptop will stop charging and switches to battery. Also, sometimes when booting, the system will freeze at the BIOS screen, unless the dock gets disconnected.

After 30 seconds of leaving it unplugged and plugging it back in, it still won’t work. It eventually starts working again after leaving it for an extended period of time and reconnecting.

We have updated the BIOS and drivers on the laptop fully. The drivers of the dock are up-to-date. We have tried connecting the dock to the USB-C and Thunderbolt ports on the left side and both do the same thing. We also tried another of the same model of dock and it does the same thing.

We tried a second dock of the same model, brand new out of the box and it did the same thing as above.

I believe there is a compatibility issue with the dock or maybe something in the BIOS that needs adjusting to get it to work properly.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Hello Jay, thank you for your interest in our Community.

I’m quite sorry to hear about that. From what I can see, there seems to be something odd with the connectivity. I understand that you’ve tried two different docks: but did you make sure to try the provided and specific USB-C cable from the respective dock? I would also recommend you to try the dock on another laptop in order to confirm if the issue is isolated to this particular unit, or perhaps other ThinkBook 15 G2.

I look forward to hearing back from you,

Emmanuel B.

Hello, Emmanuel,

Yes we are using the cable that came with the dock. The two docks we have used are the exact same model (one was already returned under warranty). We have tried the dock on another model (unsure if it’s the same) and it has not reported issues.

Jay

Hello Jay,

If the dock works correctly on another computer, and yet another dock does not work on this computer: it would seem most likely that the computer itself may have a software or hardware issue. Have you tried or experienced issues with any other type of USB-C device connected to that laptop before?

I look forward to hearing back from you,

Emmanuel B.