Why would Startech dock DK30CHHPD not work with Dell Vostro 5625 Laptop ?

Hello @Mathieu,

Thank you for your post!

Disconnection issues with three different DK30CHHPDEU on three different same-model Dell Vostro laptops sound very strange. I can definitely understand why you would be considering some sort of compatibility issue. Compatibility issues can be frustrating to narrow down but we will do our best to be thorough and try to get to the bottom of this issue.

There do not appear to be any outstanding compatibility issues with the DK30CHHPDEU that show up in my searches.

We can recommend some general troubleshooting steps to help isolate the disconnection issue. Since we do not have a full understanding of the scope of the issue I will go through a few lists of things to check to see if that will help you find a solution. If these do not help I will offer some contact information for you to contact us directly to help get up and running as quickly as possible.

Updates

1. First, we can try some updates.

Ensure that the latest drivers for the DK30CHHPDEU are installed from the StarTech.com website

Install for any updates from Windows Update.

1. (Thank you for confirming this was done!)

Be sure that all updates from Dell support have been applied. BIOS or chipset updates can be helpful when there are instabilities.

1. (Thank you for completing this too! It might be a good idea to circle back and check your BIOS or chipset versions against the Dell support page too, depending on how the updates were performed)

Connectivity

1. Once you are confident that everything is up to date we can verify the connectivity.

Ensure all connections are secure and snug

2. The originally included power supply (20V 4.5A) will need to be connected to a reliable power source like a wall outlet or surge protector.
  3. The originally included USB-C cable should be connected from the USB-C port on the back of the DK30CHHPDEU beside the power supply to the USB-C port on the left side of the Dell Vostro.
  4. Verify the devices connected to the DK30CHHPDEU. Gather technical information on the devices connected to the dock and verify their connectivity and power requirements.

Troubleshooting

Now we can consider some troubleshooting to help us better understand the issues that are occurring.

Research

1. We can investigate some more details about the issue.

Consider the frequency of the issues. Check if there are other devices or software on these systems that are having similar symptoms that could be correlated.

2. Take note of any errors or warnings that could give clues about the nature of the issue and research the issue for specific troubleshooting options if needed.
  3. If there are multiple devices connected to the DK30CHHPDEU test whether there is any change in behavior if some devices are disconnected.
  4. Check on the device manager to see if there are any errors or warnings. Research any specific errors to help find some specific troubleshooting options.

Isolation tests

1. Let's try a few things to help us rule out particular variables

Instead of connecting the DK30CHHPDEU to the USB-C port on the computer, try using a USB-C to USB A cable to connect it to a USB A port on the right or the left of the Dell Vostro.

2. Try the DK30CHHPDEU on a different make and model of computer and observe the performance there.
  3. Check the make and model of the other USB-C docks. Check if the other docks use different drivers and compare drivers. In some cases, the drivers for USB-based video solutions may not participate well together on the same systems.

Next Steps

Again, compatibility issues are usually rare and can lead to some odd troubleshooting experiences, so if none of these suggestions get you closer to a resolution I would strongly recommend that you contact us directly for assistance on the phone or via live chat. https://www.startech.com/en-us/regional-list

1. .

Be ready with as much detail as you can. We normally ask for much more information to have a full understanding of the scope of the issue, for example:

Total number of products

2. When the products were purchased, and where
  3. The operating system and version
  4. The make and model of the computer and any other computers tested
  5. The make and model of the other devices connected, like monitors, USB devices, or other peripherals
  6. Details about the setup environment and what testing has already been performed

I hope that these suggestions help, please let us know if they do! Otherwise, my team will be happy to help with our 24-hour weekday support.

Sincerely,

David F