How do I get the Startech Thunderbolt 3 to DisplayPort adapter TB32DP14 to work?

How do I get the Startech Thunderbolt 3 to DisplayPort adapter TB32DP14 to work on Microsoft Windows 11 with a Lenovo Thinkpad? It does not see any of the 2 displayport monitors. I tried
https://www.startech.com/en-us/faq/usb-cannot-detect-windows
but it did not work.
This adapter seems to be a USB hub and have no video capability even though it is stated to support dual displayport. It does not work on 2 Lenovo Thinkpad computers, an Android device, and a Mac. Windows 11 sees it as only a USB hub. I wonder if I need to return the new adapter.

Removed

Hello @modesitt

Thank you for your post!

I am sorry to hear about the trouble you are having with TB32DP14. Would it be possible to provide the following to help us determine the source of the issue?

• What is the full model of Lenovo Thinkpad you are using?
  • What are the make and models of the monitors being used?
  • Are there any additional adapters being used between TB32DP14 and the monitors?

In the meantime I would recommend first ensuring if your laptop’s port is Thunderbolt 3 or if it is a regular USB-C port, while both use the same connecter the internal hardware is different and TB32DP14 will only be compatible if your computer is Thunderbolt 3. This information will typically be available in the technical specifications from the computer manufacturer.

If your Thinkpad does have Thunderbolt 3, I would recommend making sure that your Thunderbolt software, drivers, and firmware are up to date. I would also suggest checking for any updates to the computer’s BIOS and even try reinstalling your graphics drivers.

If these steps do not help, I would suggest testing the adapter with a different model of computer with Thunderbolt 3 to ensure it works elsewhere.

Please let us know if that information helps! We look forward to hearing from you.

Lukas T.

• What is the full model of Lenovo Thinkpad you are using? 20YRS1YE15
  • What are the make and models of the monitors being used? Lenovo 2572-MB6 LT2252p and Lenovo 2578-HB6 L2251x.
  • Are there any additional adapters being used between TB32DP14 and the monitors? No, just the displayport cables.

“In the meantime I would recommend first ensuring if your laptop’s port is
Thunderbolt 3 or if it is a regular USB-C port, while both use the same
connecter the internal hardware is different and TB32DP14 will only be
compatible if your computer is Thunderbolt 3. This information will
typically be available in the technical specifications from the computer
manufacturer.”
The 2 ports I tried support both Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 4.

“If your Thinkpad does have Thunderbolt 3, I would recommend making sure
that your Thunderbolt software, drivers, and firmware are up to date. I
would also suggest checking for any updates to the computer’s BIOS and
even try reinstalling your graphics drivers.”
I have not tried that yet.

“If these steps do not help, I would suggest testing the adapter with a
different model of computer with Thunderbolt 3 to ensure it works
elsewhere.”
The adapter was also tried on another Thinkpad, an Android device, and a Mac all using a different displayport cables. It showed up as a USB hub and not a video adapter on all 3.

Hello @modesitt,

Thank you for your reply.

Based on the information you have provided, having tested TB32DP14 with multiple models of
laptops we would expect to be compatible, we would recommend replacing the unit under our warranty.

We will be reaching out to you directly with next steps for replacing the product.

Lukas T

I upaded the Lenovo Thinkpad BIOS. I checked for the video adapter if it needed updates and it said no updates are needed. No change, as the adapter still does not work.