Problems with Rack Server and StarTech KVM Switch. Any Advice?

Hi everyone,

I’m currently facing some issues with my rack server setup and a StarTech product. I’m relatively new to managing both hardware and software in this capacity and could really use some advice from those more experienced.

Here are some details about my setup:

• Rack Server: Lenovo ThinkSystem SR650, Dual Intel Xeon Gold 5218, 64GB RAM, 2x 1TB NVMe SSD
  • StarTech Product: StarTech 8-Port Rackmount USB KVM Switch (SV831DUSBU)

The Issues:

1. Connectivity Problems: The StarTech KVM Switch occasionally fails to detect connected servers or loses connection, making it difficult to manage multiple servers.
  2. Performance Issues: There are noticeable delays and lag when switching between different servers using the KVM switch. This affects productivity and efficient management.
  3. Compatibility Challenges: Some of the peripheral devices, like keyboards and mice, don’t always function correctly when connected through the KVM switch.

Steps I’ve Taken:

• Verified that all cables and connections are secure and functioning
  • Updated the firmware on the StarTech KVM Switch
  • Tried different USB ports and cables to rule out hardware issues

Despite these efforts, the issues persist. Has anyone else encountered similar problems with the StarTech KVM Switch? Are there specific settings or configurations I should be aware of? Any troubleshooting tips or resources you could recommend would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!