Desktop PC won't boot after installing PCIUSB3S4

I have an old desktop PC Fujitsu Esprimo P9900 E - Star 5 M3W-D2912. The motherboard has no PCIe expansion slots, only PCI expansion slots. The Desktop PC is running Windows 7 32-bit or Linux 64-bit (dual boot).

I bought the StartTech PCI Superspeed USB 3.0 expansion card type PCIUSB3S4 card (with a PCI-connector). It has 4 external USB 3.0 ports and has an internal SATA power suply to pass through to high power consuming USB-devices (eg hard drives).

The PCIBUS3S4 expansion card fits in the desktop PC. When i power on de dekstop PC, nothing happens, no beeps, nothing on screen. Changing jumper J1 on the PCIBUS3S4 expansion card (it has 2 positions: 1-2 position = Clock Speed set tot 33/66 MHz, position 2-3 = Clock Speed set to 33 MHz) makes no difference. Since I can’t even get in to the BIOS Setup I don’t know if the system recognies the PCIBUS3S4 expansion card. Installing the driver from the CD-rom provided with the PCIBUS3S4 expansion card can only be done after the system has booted in Windows 7.

When I remove the PCIBUS3S4 expansion card, the system powers on normally and both Windwos 7 32-bit and Ubuntu 64-bit are running normally.

What is the cause of this mallfunction and how do I solve it?

Johan Vandewalle (Belgium)

Hello @JohanVandewalle and thank you for your interest in our Community.

I am sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing with our card. In situations like this, it would be best to cross-test the elements of your equation in order to isolate which variable is causing issues. For example, I would recommend you to test the card with another PCI slot. If it still doesn’t work, I would recommend to try it on a different computer, as well as trying another PCI card into the original PCI slot. This should help isolate the issue as well as confirm if our card otherwise does work (on a different slot or computer altogether).

Thank you in advance and we look forward to hearing back from you!

Emmanuel B.

The pci slot is ok, plating another expantion board gaves no problem. Omving the StartTech board in another pci slot shows the same problem. I can’t test the board in another PC sinecure thuis is the only one I have with PCI slots.

Johan

Hello Johan,

For this type of situation, I would invite you to please contact our Technical Support by chat ( www.startech.com/be/chat ) or phone ( 0800 81 229 ) in order to benefit from a LIVE troubleshooting session. Simply refer to Case # CAS-73766.

We look forward to hearing back from you!

Emmanuel B.