SATDOCK5U3ER Displayed Erase Fields Defined

The HDD dock OSD displays several pieces of information during the Erase function, including MB/s rate (not sure what exactly is indicated), completion percentage (I think), elapsed time, pass number, and something designated L(n) (n=level?)
During various functions, the OSD may display different information. If someone could break each function’s displays, that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Hello @MrZero,

Thank you for taking the time ask your question! I will be happy to take the time to investigate this with you.

However, we no longer have the SATDOCK5U3ER in our warehouses. It is no longer an active product. As of the date of this writing, it is listed for sale on our website because it may be available through our distributors or resellers and stock will no longer be replenish. This means that we may not have this information available as quickly as we would prefer.

Sadly, the SATDOCK5U3ER documentation, comparable products, and some of our internal notes did not have more information on the specific LCD outputs. You appear to be on the right track though! The MB/s rate is the data rate of the function. The percentage, elapsed time, and pass number all indicate the progress of the function. The L(n) (n=level?) reference is a good question. I suspect it may be the pattern count for the selected erase mode.

I have asked my colleagues for more details on the n=level reference and the output for other LCD modes. Again, this request this may take longer due to the product status.

As soon as I have more details, I will update you here.

Sincerely,

@DavidF

Thank you for your reply
The user manual isn’t very detailed, to say the least.
I have a follow-up question: if erasing 5 HDDs and 4 are complete, can those 4 be removed without disrupting the 5th drive’s wipe?

Thank you again for your response

Kenneth

Hello Kenneth,

Thank you for your follow-up question.

After checking our SATDOCK5U3ER support materials further, it is not clear if completed drives could be removed when erasing multiple drives. In my previous testing with similar products, we did have to wait for all tasks to finish before making any changes. The SATDOCK5U3ER seems to be a bit more advanced than those, so I will confirm this for you too. I have added your question to our request about the LCD output.

About that LCD request, my team let me know that they are investigating now, but as I suspected it may take longer than normal.

Look for my reply here when we know more.

Sincerely,

@DavidF

Hello Kenneth,

It has been some time since I checked back here. I do apologize for the delay.

My colleagues have let me know that they are continuing to look into this. As soon as they report back to me I will get an update posted here.

Sincerely,

@DavidF

Hello @MrZero,

My colleagues were able to confirm more about the SATDOCK5U3ER for me.

They confirmed that as soon as the HDD light for a given drive stops flashing it means the erase is done on that particular drive, and that drive can then be removed without issues or without interrupting the remaining erasing drives.

Drives erase simultaneously. Faster / smaller drives will normally to finish first and identical drives will finish at roughly the same time.

• Be aware that while you can remove drives that finish a pass early, it will continue erasing the slower or larger remaining drives. Once it completes the current pass for all drives and moves to the next pass number, it will try to re-access all of the drives. If any were removed it will cause an error and the process will abort. Be sure that the final pass is in progress before removing any completed drives to avoid this error.

Regarding the L(n) designation; We have confirmed that number is referring to the pass number being performed. In 1 pass it will only ever be L1, in a 3 or 7 pass it will count up the numbers 1, 2, 3 etc. up to 7 at maximum to show what current pass is being processed. The total percentage of completion is not per pass and you cannot see how far into any given pass specifically you are, it is a whole percentage of all drives and all passes as one number. So you only get to see total elapsed time, total percentage of the operation completed and the number of pass currently processing.

In short:

1. Yes, you can remove drives after their erase completes while slower and larger drives are still finishing without interrupting the remaining process (EXCEPT the bullet point above)
  2. Ln (Or L1) is the number pass currently being processed and ranges L1 to L7 to represent pass 1 to pass 7 in multi-pass erases.

Please let us know if the information provided by my team is what you needed or if you have any other questions. I will be happy to help in any way that I can.

Sincerely,

@DavidF