Dock Eraser not scanning M.2 SATA drives with correct adapter

I have an SDOCK1EU3P2 that we use to wipe HDD and SDD drives pre recycling, I want to wipe a bunch of M.2 SSD’s
I have a SAT32M225 adapter but the Dock will not scan the drives, It stays on Scanning for ages then fails, Firmware checked etc but am stuck, Support seems to indicate this should work and sell the adapter for this purpose

Hello @rich.malyon,

Thank you for taking the time to post on the Startech.com Community.

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulty with our SDOCK1EU3P2 and SAT32M225. Would it be possible to provide the following information to help determine our next steps?

• What are the make and models of M.2 drives you are attempting to erase?
  • What erase mode are you attempting to use when you encounter this issue?

Thank you in advance, and we look forward to hearing from you!

Lukas T

Hi,
Thanks for the response
M2 drives and modes tried so far,

1: 256Gb M2 SX8200PNP - XPG Brand from an Intel NUC - trying 3 pass, all 3 types scan but stick on nan% 0.0mbps, 7 pass will not scan, fails: 30sec

2: 256Gb WD PC SN740 from HP laptop either fails to scan or hangs on nan% 0.0mbps

The closest I have come to actually wiping an M2 is seeing 0.0% with 0.0Mbps on a 256 Gb- Samsung drive, it sat on 0.0 for 7 hours
I am trying another M2 drive on all flavours but so far its been pretty disappointing, Works fine on 2.5 and 3.5 old school drives but am now looking at other devices

Appreciate any help you can give

Hi @rich.malyon,

Thank you for providing the models of the drives you have tested.

Looking at the drive specifications from the manufacturers, both the XPG SX8200PNP and Western Digital SN740 are M.2 PCIe drives. If you have the model of Samsung available, I could double check this one as well if you would like me to.

Unfortunately SAT32M225 and SDOCK1EU3P2 would only be compatible with M.2 SATA drives and are not compatible with M.2 PCIe. We also do not have any adapters that would allow M.2 PCIe drives to be used with SDOCK1EU3P2. I am very sorry for the inconvenience and any confusion.

If you are interested in an eraser that is able to support M.2 PCIe drives, we have the SM2DUPE11 for handling not only M.2 drives of both SATA and PCIe, but 2.5" and 3.5" SATA drives as well

If you have any additional questions that I could help with, please let me know!

Lukas T

Thanks, guess that will be a lesson to the boss to not buy the cheapest option