Failed drive in a mirror set

I have a Startech SAT354OU3ER raid enclosure that I purchased many years ago. I configured two 3TB Seagate drives as a mirror set per the instructions that came with the enclosure. I’ve long since lost those instructions. I’m assuming that the controller will recognize the new drive once it’s been installed (replacing the failed drive) and will re-build the mirror. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hello @shawn.mccarter,

Thank you for taking the time to post on the Startech.com Community!

After replacing the failed drive in SAT354OU3ER with a new drive, the enclosure will automatically start to rebuild the RAID configuration. While this is happening, the Rebuild light will also turn on, then the light will go out again when the rebuild is complete.

Please let me know if there is anything else I could help with!

Lukas T

Thanks for your info. It worked, but not without having to fiddle with the drives for a bit. I’m thinking the controller may be failing. I noticed on your site that the SAT354OU3ER is no longer available. Would you be able to direct me to a replacement model that I’d be able to simply move my drives to?

Thanks in advance.

Hello @shawn.mccarter,

That is correct that SAT354OU3ER is now discontinued and no longer available. Unfortunately we do not have any RAID enclosures that would allow you to simply move the drives and retain the existing RAID configuration and data.

The only other RAID enclosure we have for 3.5 inch SATA drives would be our S352BU33RER, however the RAID would need to be recreated on the new enclosure which would cause the data on the drives to be erased. We would recommend backing up your data before moving the drives to a new enclosure. Then once you have created the new RAID, you can restore the back up to the drives.

Lukas T