Touch input not mapped on proper monitor

Hi,

I am trying to add another touch screen monitor to a computer, using the HDMI to USB device USB32HDES.
I have downloaded and installed the driver for this device. Then connected the device’s USB connector to the computer.
The monitor is detected, and after configuring the touch input, the touch screen part is also working.

But after rebooting the computer, the touch input is acting like I am touching the main display. If I disconnect the new monitor’s touch screen’s USB cable from the device and reconnect it, then the touch input is located on the new monitor. Works also if I disconnect the USB32HDES’s USB cable from the computer and reconnect it. But each time I reboot, the touch input of the monitor connected through the USB32HDES device is behaving as if I am touching the main display.

It is as if Windows is assigning the device IDs or touch area before the monitor connected through the USB32HDES is detected.

The computer is a DELL all-in-one, with a touch screen, running Windows 11. I have a third touch screen monitor also connected to the main computer (HDMI + touch input USB cable) and working properly, even after rebooting.
I have the Windows update KB5027231 (almost the latest), and latest monitor driver.

Have you ever observed a similar behavior?
Is there a way to force a re-discovery of the monitors? programmatically (C++)?
Thanks,

Hello @Mireille

Thank you for taking the time to post on the Startech.com Community! I am sorry to hear about the issue you are having with the monitor connected to USB32HDES.

To start I would like to ask for some additional information to help us have a full understanding of what is connecting to our adapter and look into the issue.
1. What is the specific model of the Dell All-In-One computer?
2. What is the make and model of the touch screen display you are connecting to our USB32HDES?

I would also recommend taking the touch screen display that is currently connected to our adapter and swapping it with the third touch screen display you mentioned that is connected directly to see if the same monitor has the same behavior when directly connected or if the third monitor has the same behavior when using our adapter.

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Lukas T

Hello Lukas,
The computer we are using is a Dell OptiPlex 7400 All-in-One.
The touch screen monitor connected through the USB32HDES device is a ViewSonic model VS19150 (p/n TD2465).

I did make the test and connect the third touch screen monitor via the USB32HDES device, and observe the same behavior, i.e., after rebooting, the touch input from the monitor connected through the device is as if I was touching the main display.
This monitor is a Dell P2418HT.
Thanks,

Hello @Mireille

Thank you for the information and testing a second monitor.

As described in our FAQ, touchscreen displays are intended to have direct communication with a computer’s internal video card. Due to this limitation, it can in some situations cause a conflict between the adapter and the internal video card which can result in certain touchscreen functions not working as intended.

From the behavior we are seeing it seems that at boot Windows is mapping the touchscreen functionality to the main display as it has a direct connection to the internal video card rather than going through USB32HDES as a secondary video adapter. It could also be that Windows maps this functionality before it initializes our device and it is the order of operations within Windows, as you mentioned previously that if you reconnect the USB for the monitor or our adapter the touch function then maps to the appropriate monitor.

As this is a limitation of touchscreen displays, we unfortunately do not have a solution that we could offer in this circumstance. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Lukas T

It’s quite regrettable.
Thank you for investigating.
Mireille

THis may be late in reply, but did you go through Window’s “Calibrate the screen for Pen & Touch Input” applet? This applet will allow you to select a specific display and register the touch to that phyical touch screen.

Hello,
Going through the Window’s “Calibrate the screen for Pen & Touch Input” applet does work. The touch coordinates are properly reset. But this would mean the user of our system would require to do this every time he boots, which is not acceptable.
Fortunately, another engineer here found a solution that can be implemented programmatically. Disabling all touch inputs (not USB, not monitors, just touch inputs) and re-enabling them one second later does allow windows to properly assign touch input coordinates to the monitor connected via the USB32HDES device.
Thank you for checking. Appreciated!