Trying to connect two monitors via the MSTDP123DP Displayport hub via a Dell P2424HEB monitor

Hi there,

I have a Dell P2424HEB video conferencing monitor which is connected via USB-C to my laptop. I want to use two additional monitors, but the Dell only has one DisplayPort out. I ordered a StarTech MSTDP123DP 3-Port Multi Monitor DisplayPort MST Hub, but have had no luck so far in getting it to work. I’ve confirmed that each of the two additional monitors work with the Dell’s DisplayPort out separately, and they also work via the StarTech Hub when the Hub is connected to a separate PC via the videocard. It seems like there is some fault or issue with the Dell monitor’s DisplayPort out and the StarTech Hub when connected to each other.

The full set up is:

HP Elitebook 830 G7 Notebook

Dell P2424HEB monitor

ASUS VG248QE LED monitor

BenQ GW2490E LED monitor

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony

Hello Anthony,

Thank you for taking the time to post your question on our forum.

We discussed the configuration and testing our live chat session today. Thank you for contacting our live support also.

We confirmed standard DisplayPort cabling was used, we tried some tests like swapping displays, and making multiple changes in the Windows Display settings to ensure there was not anything strange going there.

Sadly, we suspected that there was either some sort of hardware limitation or an interoperability issue between the MSTDP123DP and the MST/Daisy chain features on the Dell monitor.

We discussed other options to add more monitors to the system using USB-based video adapters like the Product ID: USB32HD4K or the USB32DP24K60

Another solution may be to test with an MST hub directly connected to the USB-C port on the HP Notebook. For example, Product ID: MSTCDP123DP.

There were other options like docking stations that were possible too. Product ID: DK30A2DH

The MSTCDP123DP would certainly require testing since we are not sure about the display support on the HP notebook, but the USB-based adapters and docking stations will be a fit once the drivers are installed.

Since our chat has completed I realized that there is one other thing that we did not discuss directly. You did indicate that you spoke with Dell support, however you may want to check the on screen display settings for the Dell monitor directly. Check for any settings related to DisplayPort version or MST/Daisy Chain. Sometimes these settings can help with compatibility.

Please do not hesitate to reply here, or return for a live chat support session, if there is anything else that we can do to help.

Sincerely,

@DavidF