pex4m2e1 on HP Proliant MicroServer Gen10 Plus

Has anyone been able to use pex4m2e1 on a HP Proliant MicroServer Gen10 Plus?

I got the BIOS to recognize it, but it appears as disabled.

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-23 at 1.15.53 AM.jpeg

Thanks

Hello @brucecairo. We appreciate you taking the time to post on our Community forum.

We are sorry to hear that you experienced difficulty with our PEX4M2E1. The PEX4M2E1 is a pass-through device in nature. We recommend ensuring the latest BIOS is installed on the computer and ensuring that the PCIe slot itself is not disabled within the BIOS. If the issue continues, we have opened case # 484-1255844 and encourage you to contact us at support@startech.com. Please include the case number and ‘community post support’ in the subject line. Thank you in advance, and we look forward to hearing from you!

Atha T

Hello @brucecairo. I noticed I haven’t heard anything back from you in a little while, I just wanted to check in to see if you had a chance to read our post above.

We have opened case # 484-1255844 and encourage you to contact us at support@startech.com. Please include the case number and “Community Post Support” in the subject line. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Atha T

I found an unpleasant answer for this problem.

PEX4M2E1 its a PCIe 3.0 x4 adapter, according to:

x4 PCI Express to M.2 PCIe SSD Adapter - Drive Adapters and Drive Converters

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen10 Plus has 1 PCIe x16 slot, and by using PCIe bifurcation it can work only as x8x8

This is the response from HP:

Hi all. This isn’t a matter of a FW update or HPE not providing the support for this feature. The Intel processors used in this server do not support x4x4x4x4 bifurcation, so neither HPE nor any other server using the Intel Xeon Entry 2100/2200 family of processors will support this now or in the future.

https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-Netservers/Microserver-Gen10-Plus-PCIe-bifurcation-support-issue/td-p/7092453/page/2

So, this particular server can’t use this PCIe card

Hello @brucecairo. The PEX4M2E1 is passive, meaning PCIe bifurcation support depends entirely on the CPU and UEFI of the board. That being said, our PEX8M2E2 may be a better option for the HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus, if the bifurcation is not working correctly with the PEX4M2E1.

Please let us know if you have any further questions!

Atha T