Raspberry Pi4B Use the Dual-Bay USB 3.0 to SATA Hard Drive Docking Station

Product ID: SDOCK2U33V - Dual-Bay USB 3.0 to SATA Hard Drive Docking Station

I’m posting this to expose the information, as, prior to purchase the dock I could not find the information anywhere. So, for those who are interested in doing something similar, here it is.

I am utilizing this Dock to permanently access an SSD and a 2TB Hard Drive on a Raspberry Pi4 minicomputer. The main goal is to get rid of the µSD card as a boot source and to free-up a USB3 port on the Pi4.

The desired image is “burned” on the SSD and the Pi4 is booting from the SSD. The Linux OS boots correctly and both drives are available. The main idea is that the Pi4 and Dock are powered ON 24/7.

Prior to purchasing the dock the uncertainty was that I was not sure if in case of a power failure, could the Pi4 reboot normally without human intervention. Would a necessary power-up sequence like: first power-up the Dock and then power-up the Pi4, be necessary?

It turns out that the system behave just normally. When the power comes back, the Pi4 boot-up normally and the OS is up and running in a very short time.

Utilizing this Dock leave the Pi4 with an extra free USB3 port ready for other connections.

Cheers