S2510BU33PW Encrypted Drive Enclosure - Reset Password

Hi, I installed new SSD into S2510BU33PW encrypted drive enclosure but I forgot the password. How do I reset it? I only see option “enter password”. I took the SSD out and completely formatted it but when I put it inside it again asks for password. I realize I cannot retrieve the data (and that is fine) but there must be an option to reset the password.

Hello @stc459 and thank you for your interest in our Community!

When a password is set, our enclosures will establish a paired profile between that specific enclosure and that specific drive. If the password is forgotten, it is unfortunately not possible to reinitialize a new profile on that pair. You would need to use a new drive with that enclosure in order to use it as JBOD enclosure or establish a new password protected pair.

I hope this helps better understand the principle of encrypted pairing. If you have further questions, please do let me know and I’ll be happy to help!

Emmanuel B.

Thank you for your reply. I’m uncertain about how the enclosure could operate as you describe because it lacks internal memory and a power source for recording information. So, all data is stored on the drive, right? If I completely nullify the drive, wouldn’t that resolve the issue? This is consistent with what your online support advised me today.

Hello @stc459 ,

My colleague recommended to clear the disk using diskpart as in some drives, it can trigger the hardware profile to change. But this method only works on certain drives. Please feel absolutely free to give that a try (and let us know if it worked).

Another method I’ve seen in the past was to use a compatible SSD’s secure erase.

However, please note that these are all rare cases and in the majority of times, it is not possible to break the pair as information is indeed saved on the enclosure. This is why you also cannot take an encrypted drive and place it in a new identical enclosure: it will act as a brand new pair and offer to format / setup a password.

I hope this helps. Please do let us know if diskpart method worked. Otherwise, the only solution would be to use a different drive in that specific enclosure.

Emmanuel B.

Thank you for the explanation. The diskpart method (both “clear” and “clear all”) did not work. I guess this means I will have to buy the new enclosure.

I do apologize for the inconvenience. Please note that this situation only concerns this particular pair. You can always use a different drive into this enclosure (or the drive in a different enclosure) and they will work fine and let you assign new passwords.

Once you’ve encrypted a disk with an enclosure: only the password will allow you to access, change or reset that pair’s password.

If you have further questions, please do let me know and I’ll be happy to help!

Emmanuel B.