USB32HD4 Issue connecting 4 Monitors

I recently my USB32DH4 on my older HP EliteBook (WIN10) W/4 HP Monitors and it worked perfectly. Upgraded my Laptop to a newer HP EliteBook (WIN10) last week. I can configure 3 additional monitors perfectly but as soon as I plug in the 4th monitor, 2 of the monitors that where originally configured and working perfectly are no longer recognized or receiving a signal. I downloaded the most recent drivers and the monitor software as well, neither helped. TIA

Hello @deacon1,

Thank you for joining the StarTech.com community and for posting about the USB32HD4. I will be happy to look into the multimonitor trouble with you.

The USB32DH4 should certainly recognize all four monitors when connected. However, there are many reasons why the monitors may not receive a signal when additional monitors are connected.

Drivers

Let’s start with the drivers. The most recent drivers will always be on our website. You can find them quickly by searching the product and looking for the Drivers & Downloads tab on the StarTech.com product page.

USB32HD4 Drivers & Downloads - https://www.startech.com/en-us/display-video-adapters/usb32hd4#driver-and-downloads

As I am writing this the current version of the drivers listed on this page is: 24.01.0222.3679. You can confirm that this driver is installed by checking the device manager in Windows and looking for the entry there for the USB32HD4.

To quickly open the device manager in Windows 10:

1. right-click the Start menu
  2. select the Device Manager from the context menu.
    • 6th option from the top.

This will normally be in the Graphics Adapters section and the name can vary but if it is not listed as a StarTech.com device it may be listed by the chipset, such as MCT trigger or it may have a more generic name like a USB display device. Check the driver tab in the properties of the device. The driver version should be represented there. The version number may be prefixed with other numbers, but the digits should be in the same order as the website.

Software

You may also find the Multi-Monitor Assistant software helpful on the downloads page below the driver. It is linked as multi-monitor assistant.zip

Display Settings

If the drivers look are up to date according to the device manager, the next step is to check the Windows Display settings, to see how the displays are represented.

To quickly open the display settings:

1. right-click on the desktop
  2. select Display settings, normally the second last item on the context menu

At the top of the Display settings there should be a section called ‘Rearrange your displays’ containing numbered boxes representing the displays. Click on each box and scroll down to find the ‘Multiple displays’ section, there will be a dropdown box, each with multiple options. If any displays have the ‘Disconnect this display’ option selected try changing it to one of the other options listed.

If some of the displays are still not represented it may be helpful to try changing the Multiple displays settings for the existing monitors. While this step is not very intuitive, I have occasionally found the Windows display settings can get mixed up and this step has solved strange monitor issues many times for me in the past.

Hardware

Above I have covered some basic things to check in Windows. However, if that does not help we can investigate more based on your systems.

A few more details can help us understand what is happening.

1. Can you share more about the new HP EliteBook?
    • The full identifying model information may help us better understand connectivity options and check for possible limitations.
    • If the USB32HD4 is not directly connected to the computer, please share more about any adapters or other devices used, including model information.
  2. Can you share more about the monitors connected to the USB32HD4 and how you wish to use them?
    • Again the monitor model information may help as well as how the length of the cables and model information for any adapters used.

Please let me know if this information gets you up and running, or if you can share any additional details for us to better investigate this with you.

Sincerely,

@DavidF