Monitors keep disconnecting

I have the 2 Port Quad Monitor DisplayPort KVM Switch - 4K 60Hz UHD HDR - Desktop 4K DP 1.2 KVM with 2 Port USB 3.0 Hub (5Gbps) & 4X USB 2.0 HID Ports, Audio - Hotkey Switching - TAA (SV231QDPU34K).

Whenever I switch from one computer to the other, the monitors are disconnected in windows (10) and I have to select “Extend my Desktop” each time. This only happens when switching to my desktop computer from my laptop. It does not happen when switching from desktop to my laptop.

Anyone have any idea why?

Welcome @PaveFE,

Thank you for taking the time to ask your question here on the StarTech.com Community.

This is a rather strange issue. I have some ideas about why this sort of issue could occur.

First, I suggest trying a power cycle that often helps quickly resolve display problems with hardware-based KVMs like the SV231QDPU34K.

KVM Reset / Power Cycle

The steps here should generally work for any of our hardware-based KVMs. This is essentially a power cycle, but since these types of KVMs can draw power from computer connections there are a few extra steps

1. Remove the USB-B cable connections from the KVM that go to each of the computers
  2. Remove the DC power barrel connector from the KVM
  3. Confirm the KVM is not receiving power
    • The LEDs that normally illuminate the indicators on the front should not be on
  4. Wait a moment or two
  5. After waiting, reconnect the DC power
    • Ensure that the front panel LEDs are now active
  6. Switch to PC 1
  7. Reconnect the USB-B connection for PC 1 and test
  8. Switch to PC 2
  9. Reconnect the USB-B connection for PC2 and test

These are the most valuable troubleshooting steps for hardware-based KVMs. These have helped me when troubleshooting with most of my customers. They have helped on my own KVM when power disruptions, poor power conditions, and other changes have occurred.

Let’s discuss some reasons why this kind of thing could occur.

Video Resets

Windows normally retains information about the monitors, including manual settings, allowing you to remove and reconnect monitors without additional configurations. When this is not occurring, this could mean that the monitor information is not being passed correctly to the computer. Or the display information that Windows has retained is corrupted in some way.

The power cycle, or KVM reset steps above usually can help with the monitor information if the KVM itself is experiencing an issue.

If the Windows settings are disrupted I have found it effective to try making multiple changes to the display configuration. This seems to have reset the monitor information in some way for me in the past. Here is a set of steps that I might try in the Windows display settings, though in no particular order:

• Set each monitor to extended
  • Disable each monitor in turn by setting to disconnected
  • Duplicate each monitor in turn to another monitor, mirroring
  • Set each monitor back to extended again
  • Set each monitor back to disconnected again
  • Finally, set each monitor to the desired configuration

While I have not discovered exactly how Windows stores monitor information I have not yet found a simpler way to clear the display information history. There is a graphics driver reset hotkey sequence that you can try too:

• Ctrl + Shift + Win + B

A couple of other factors may be each monitor’s onboard settings display adapters.

Video Adapters and Monitors

Graphics adapters on each computer may perform differently in some circumstances. Ensuring the latest drivers are installed can help.

Are there any video adapters, adapter cables, or converters used with the connections on the SV231QDPU34K? If so, please share any model information. It may be helpful to know if they are active or passive adapters.

Also, check the monitor on-screen display functions for any settings related to DisplayPort versioning or MST and try different settings to see if that helps with switching performance. If you wish to share the models of the monitors that are used with the KVM we can review those also.

Conclusion

I am curious if these steps, or this information, helps you with the switching troubles on this KVM, or if any other changes that help.

Reply with as much detail as you can if the issues persist and I will be happy to investigate this further with you.

Sincerely,

@DavidF

Unfortunately, even after following every “reset” guideline, this thing seems to just have a mind of its own. Each time I switch back and forth, at least two of the three monitors for one computer do not want to connect. On occasion I can get them to reconnect by duplicating, then extending. On the other computer, it mostly worked but recently one monitor doesn’t want to connect and nothing consistent seems to get it back (i.e. duplicating/extending, rebooting computer, etc.). This thing is junk and although my company paid for it, I’m the one that has to deal with it because I can’t return it now. Sooo frustrating. I used KVM switches in the military every day and never had this problem.

Hello @PaveFE,

I apologize for the continued frustration with the SV231QDPU34K. The steps I outlined above are a few of my maneuvers for occasional disruptions. To be certain, these steps should not be part of your normal workflow and should only be needed if there are disruptions after a hardware change or power loss. If they are needed more often then we should investigate this further.

DisplayPort technology is complex and a hardware-based KVM like the SV231QDPU34K can work very well. However, when issues occur troubleshooting can be an interesting challenge. The solution can sometimes not be very intuitive like the difference between a monitor refresh rate or an active or passive adapter.

I will be happy to investigate these issues with you. We will need to gather considerable detail to understand the devices used with the SV231QDPU34K and how they are connected. Could you provide the make and model of the monitors and computers and how each is connected to the KVM? If any adapters, converters, or converter cables are used what is the make and model of those?

If you prefer, I can create a case and contact you directly at the email used to sign up for the StarTech.com Community.

If you are ok with sharing your configuration details here we can step through on the forum.

You are also welcome to contact us directly at StarTech.com Support. Just let my support team know you posted on the StarTech.com community post #1145.

We will do our best to help get you up and running reliably.

Sincerely,

@DavidF