Startech SVID2USB232 Driver Being Overwritten by Windows

How do I get around the fact that Windows has determined the best driver
software for my device and it is already installed. Any time I try to update it by pointing to C:\Program files\BDA051321.2, it refuses and tells me the best driver is already installed. The Dell computer running W7Pro64 sees the USB 2828xAudio device but automatically finds Microsoft driver 6.1.7501.18208 and installs it. It will not let me install the one from your support page. [svid2usb23] composite to usb capture cable(1).zip
I had the exact issue on a W11 laptop as this Dell desktop running W7.
This is for the Startech SVID2USB232 serial# 0921010781
If I remove the device, (unplug it from the USB port), the USB2828x device disappears from the device manager. I’ve followed the instructions in the SVID2USB232_usermanual.pdf from your web page.
I’ve done the reboot after driver installation says finish.
Have no idea what I’m doing wrong.

Hello @masterdrago,

Thank you for posting on the Startech.com Community.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with our SVID2USB232. To help determine our next steps can I please ask the following:

• What is the model of the Dell computer you are trying to install the drivers on?
  • To confirm, is the zip file being extracted before you try to install the drivers?
  • If you attempt to install the drivers using the Setup executable found in in the driver installation, rather than pointing to the folder you mentioned, is there any change or do you receive any kind of error message?
  • If you try installing the driver using the Setup executable from the “Old driver” folder, is there any change?

Please let me know how these steps work for you. I look forward to hearing back from you!

Lukas T

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with our SVID2USB232. To help determine our next steps can I please ask the following:

What is the model of the Dell computer you are trying to install the drivers on?

1st one Dell XPS15 running W11

2nd one Dell T1700 running W7Pro64

To confirm, is the zip file being extracted before you try to install the drivers?

Yes. Unzips to include a Windows folder with Setup_5.2121.080.3.exe, then running that gets BDA051321.2 which saves to Program Files\BDA051321.2

If you attempt to install the drivers using the Setup executable found in in the driver installation, rather than pointing to the folder you mentioned, is there any change or do you receive any kind of error message?

No error messages any time.

If you try installing the driver using the Setup executable from the “Old driver” folder, is there any change?

I do not use the “Old Driver” folder.

Please let me know how these steps work for you. I look forward to hearing back from you!

When I plug in the device, the device manager updates with several new items, all being USB 2828x

The top one, Audio inputs and outputs: Line USB 2828x Audio Device show Microsoft Driver 10.0.22621.1 5/16/22

The next one, Sound, Video and game controllers: USB 2828 Audio Device show Microsoft Driver 10.0.22621.3374 3/22/24

Third one, Sound, Video and game controllers: USB 2828 device show driver eMPIA Technology 5.2021.513.1 5/13/21

Looks like some sort of major conflict.

If I look at the W7Pro64 Dell, it looks a bit different. Only 2 devices with the name USB2828x.

Under Sound, video and game controllers: USB 2828x Audio Device show Microsoft 6.1.7601.18208 7/12/13

2nd one is driver eMPIA Technology 5.2021.513.1 5/13/21

Again a conflict. So three devices that are on the same USB port with 3 or on W7, 2 different drivers.

Hello @masterdrago,

Thank you for the additional details.

Can you please right click each of the USB2828x entries, then choose to remove or uninstall the device and when asked if you want to uninstall the drivers please do so. This may show up as its own prompt saying yes or no, or it may show up as a check box when confirming you want to uninstall the device. After this, please reinstall the drivers, then unplug and replug the SVID2USB232.

Lukas T

Lukas, I’ve actually tried that several times. All of the drivers below (in the screenshot link below) come back whenever I plug the device back in. They only show up in device manager when the device is plugged in. I have no idea why the MS pair come back after I disable the device in device manager. There is no uninstall driver setting.

Hello @masterdrago,

Thank you for your response. I am currently looking into this.

Can I please confirm if you try to capture video using the SVID2USB232 does it work or do you experience issues when trying to capture, as this is not clear from your previous responses?

Lukas T

When I run the Movavi Video Editor SE after installation and entering the key, and attempt to capture, I get this screen. image at Imgur: The magic of the Internet

The camera (runcam 3) works if connected directly to a device composite video connector, like a tv.

The svidusb232 is connected between the RunCam and the USB port sn 0324010782, is warm and the green light is on. The latest driver from your web has been installed.

I’ve also tried IOTA video capture 2.4d. it gives the screen i sent earlier (Device “USB 2828x Device” cannot be used for video capture).

Clearly, I’m doing something wrong or have left out a step. However, I’ve followed the very simple instructions in the pamphlet that came with the svidusb232, two software disc and also the online SVID2USB232_usermanual.pdf

Kenneth Drake

Hello @masterdrago,

Thank you for your patience.

I was able to confirm that the three entries for the USB 2828x devices you are seeing in Device Manager are what we would normally expect to see, including them reporting as Microsoft drivers. However reviewing your earlier screenshot of the list of all the entries in Device Manager, I now notice the entry under Other Devices for an Unknown Device with an error icon. Can I confirm if that entry disappears when you disconnect the SVID2USB232 in addition to the USB 2828x entries?

Lukas T

I can confirm that the 3 drivers in the attached driver manager screenshot all go away when I unplug the SVID2USB232 device.
Link to the image at:
The Other Devices/Unknown Device with the error icon does not go away when the SVID2USB232 device is removed.

Hello @masterdrago,

Thank you for confirming. I had wanted to be sure that the entry showing up with the error was not part of our device.

Based on the information provided, it would be best to proceed with replacing the SVID2USB232 with a new unit. We will be reaching out to you directly with steps on how to proceed.

Lukas T

I have two of the SVID2USB232 units. One is a used one sn0921010761. The other one is new from AMZN purchased June 4th, sn03240010762. Attempted installation on 3 different computers (W7Home, W11, &W7Pro64) following the directions on your web site. None worked and never passed the analog video thru to the USB input on the computers. The solution turned out to be to unplug the SVID2USB232 from the computers and completely remove all the drivers that installed during insertion of the device (eMPIA Technology & 2 Microsoft drivers). Then, without plugging the device (SVID2USB232) back in, install the driver again, from your support web page.
This is the solution - not follow your support page instructions to plug the SVID2USB232 in first - DO IT AFTER INSTALLING THE DRIVER. YOUR INSTRUCTIONS ARE WRONG. Several documents on the IOTA web shows how many people have only found the solution to work. PLEASE CHANGE YOUR INSTRUCTIONS TO HAVE NO FAILS. No need to send anything back.

1 Like

The steps that we include for installing the SVID2USB232 drivers from our website and manual will typically work for most installations, however it seem this was a particular situation that required a different order of operation.

Thank you for sharing your solution that when Windows would not accept the driver installation to uninstall the drivers while the SVID2USB232 is unplugged and then installing the drivers from our website again before plugging the device in again.

Lukas T